Friday, January 4, 2008

Top 5 Albums of 2007

If I can't think of anything profound or scripturally relevant to post here, I might as well write something. So here are my 5 favorite albums from 2007. No, you won't have heard of most of them. But the links go to their Myspace pages, so check them out if you're so inclined.

5. David Crowder Band - Remedy

I had heard a few tracks from this one long before the album came out, so it was a bit anticlimactic when I finally picked it up. But, their version of "O, for a Thousand Tongues" is cause enough to make this list. The album as a whole isn't nearly as interesting or inventive as their last record, but it's still pretty great.

Favorite tracks: O, For a Thousand Tongues, Everything Glorious

4. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

Fresh off the full-band, hard-rocking live double-disc Kicking Television, Wilco stripped it down and mellowed it out for this one. It took me four or five listens before I really got into it. One of my favorite bands - not my favorite record of theirs, but it's still a good addition to the oeuvre.

Favorite tracks: Impossible Germany, What Light

3. Over the Rhine - The Trumpet Child

Man, oh man, what a good record. This one has one of my two favorite songs of the year - If a Song Could Be President, which, amidst all this talk of caucuses and primaries and platforms, comes across as truly sweet and clear. The best political stuff is never hard-nosed or pointed, and it certainly isn't here. The rest of the album is melodic and beautiful as well.

Favorite tracks: If a Song Could be President, Don't Wait for Tom

2. Sara Groves - Tell Me What You Know

Bought this one for Janna, for her birthday. She's the one from the Nomad documentary that we watched in Life Group a few month ago. This album reminds me of the really early Amy Grant stuff (way before Baby, Baby and the like) - just really fresh and inspiring. My other favorite song of the year is on this one, I Saw What I Saw, which is a statement about her trip to Rwanda and its profound impact on her life and her faith.

Favorite tracks: I Saw What I Saw, When the Saints

1. Okkervil River - The Stage Names

The band with the silly name and the lead singer with a voice that my wife can't stand. I freaking love this album. I loved these guys before this, but this album is my favorite so far. Any band that has the guts to cover (sorta) Sloop John B is ok in my book. Every single track on this album is great. Definitely pop over and listen to some. I can't stop listening to it.

Favorite tracks: Our Life is Not a Movie But Maybe, Savannah Smiles

-----

Now you guys know what i do with my spare time...


john

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm... Best albums of 2007. Well, I think I can list the albums that I was most turned on by in 2007, but they probably weren't necessarily released in 2007.

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations. Listened to this one for about 3 months continuously.

The Fratellis - Costello Music. Got turned on to the because of the iPod commercial featuring Flathead. A cross between the Beatles and the Clash.

Alicia Keys - As I am. Somehow Alicia is first-generation R&B in her mid-twenties. I don't get it. Too good.

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black. More legit R&B, but this time with strong funk roots. If you like this album, look up The Dap Kings. That's the backup band. They've been doing it for a long time.

Stolen Babies - There Be Squabbles Ahead. Very interesting. Kind of like No Doubt starring in a Tim Burton film.

Erik said...

You can't go wrong with Crowder!

I think I am in the top 5 Fantasy Football Managers category......